Monday 7 November 2011

Green Eyed Monster Documentation







Her green eyed gaze flickered angrily.
Wildly fanning herself to cool down the rage of jealousy.
Jealousy towards the yummy mummies with the promise of family and love,
Jealousy towards the young beautiful ladies promenading along the lagoon,
Jealousy towards loved up couples romancing.
With her fan and her goggles she takes on my fury.
Fury at everything I am not.
Replacing me at my performance post
Replicating
Reinterpreting
Exorcising my Green Eyed Monster.



On October 3rd 2011, Nia Metcalfe stood on my behalf at Via Garibaldi and made my performance for me. Nia, who is one part of the public art organisation Elbow Room, curated four artists (Sean Edwards, Mark Gubb, Molly Rooke and myself) to show in Venice whilst she was invigilating for the Welsh Pavilion. The artists were invited to give Nia the project that they wished for her to make on their behalf. Thus blurring the typical roles of artist and curator.
It was difficult for me, as the immediacy and directness I gain from making performance art was lost. On the other hand I have passed on my vision to her, and she created exactly what was in my minds eye.
Having had the performance idea for Green Eyed Monster brewing for a considerable length of time it felt fitting to pass it onto Nia, a trusted friend and someone that I admire creatively.
The performance lasted for three hours. No food or drink was consumed and Nia remained barefoot throughout. These are important rules I follow when making my durational work.
Thank you to Tom Goddard for documenting the work for me.
Id like to thank Nia for taking on the responsibility of making this work for me, and for being brave in inviting people to gaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment